Tuesday, May 16, 2006

why bother

Looks like el presidente Whorehay Bush done gone and screwed the pooch again. I'd given up expecting anything of that fella several years ago and kinda figured my morning travels through the blogs would be amusing. It was. Don't think I've seen that many misspelled words in a long time. Flying fingers full of fury! ;o) "Comprehensive solution" my hairy ass. Nothing is gonna happen. Zilch. Nada.

Nigh-on noon, 61 degrees outside. Mid-May. North Florida. I jus' LOVE this global warming! A couple of mornings ago it was 48. I put on my best cutoffs, best wore-out tee shirt, and my 77 cent Chinee Wal-Mart Kerryboots and went outside to do some get-er-done chores that involved a garden hose. That would have been a photo opportunity for someone with a really deviant mind! Scrawny old greybeard with winter white hide a solid mass of goose bumps! Hey, I KNOW July is coming. So is August. ...and September. Air conditioning isn't a luxury for the majority that were not the result of at least 5 generations of culling by Darwin. It's a hidiously expensive form of life support. Just for kicks and giggles, the first 14 days (daze) of June, 1999, the daily high exceeded 100. Almost made 105 on a couple of daze. That, and the fully saturated atmosphere... "Bring Out Yer Dead! Bring Out Yer Dead!"

A while back a professional friend of mine was gousing about his electric bill. July. Hey. It's Florida. There is only one place more miserable in July. Ray Nagin is mayor.

He made a decent income, same for the 20+ years married to the mother of his kids of which one had already gone to join the "real world" after college, and another soon to do the same. They had a nice home and I was privileged to be a supper guest fairly often. Their electric bill went 20% over the mortgage one month. Nope, no hot flashes and 62 degree household, the thermostat was set on 78. The house was decently insulated, didn't carry the bane of everything but chicken coops of those sorry jalousie windows (whoever invented those should be taken out back and shot! ;o). "Jalousie" is a fwench word. Go figure. His electricity provider had just got approval by the state to add another fuel allowance surcharge. Did I mention Carter was pwesident? Damn. How thoughtless of me.

This summer should prove interesting. FPL (the best power company in Florida by my estimation which if it were a slice of watermelon, might be worth something if you put salt on it) has gotten rate after rate increases, BIG ones, justified by the major damage of the '04 'canes and jacked-up dead dinosaur prices. What used to cost me $9 in inflation converted dollars 30 years ago now cost $54. There is gonna be a real howl when summer sets in this year.

Ask me why I built the earth shelter so many years ago. It has one major league problem. Easily recognizable in July. Also in August. Always in September.

Comments:
I have just about gave up on "Wheaties Bush" I call him Wheaties now because the sumbitch is a FLAKE

I'm with an electrical co-op that is not too bad on electricity rates. During the hottest days of summer last year my bill run around $200 which I figured wasn't too bad considering that included pulling the five ton cental air unit, well, washer drier and a couple of refrigerators and a couple of freezers. We stayed comfortable but not cold.

It is the gotdam home owners ins. and hurricane ins. that I am worried about now. I have not got next years bill yet--it is due in September and I am afraid I am gonna scream rape and there will not be a damn thing I can do except grin and take a deep breath.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?