Saturday, December 17, 2005

becoming a weekly?

Hopefully not for long for whatever this bit of swamp ooze is worth. The last week, well, don't ask. Some things just ain't worth remembering, much less recording. Shit hit the fan Thursday a week ago about dusk, somewhat improved by Tuesday. Old things thought not a problem for many years can just slip back in and bite some serious ass!

There were sooo many things better to do but now, it's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. "Let's hit it!" I love that line. It might be my all-time favorite movie line!

Well, Tuesday night I had to face the tiny (very tiny unfortunately) task of balancing the checkbook and budgeting through mid-January. Grim. Since I had not actually stocked up on the November 16th trip to town suitable to last through December, Wednesday needed to be the day to go play traffic lights and bumpercars. It was either that or back to roots, bark, and cute little gut-shot woodland critters! Had all my lists ready (project parts, groceries, and household), fixed Rima a pot of the "good stuff", packed the camera bag with the checkbook and lists, loaded the ice chest in the buggy, disconnected the antennas and phone lines (front coming through, t'storms likely), then went to put on my freshly-washed "goin' to town" not too shabby jeans. The britches were uncomfortable. Turned out the duct tape I'd repaired a split seam with didn't hold up to the the washing machine and was gnawing hide. Solution? Why ask?! (put duct tape on the January list)

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to purgatory I go! A five-stop shop. The path starts at the vendor furthest out and proceeds back with a route that requires the fewest left turns back into the hideous traffic mess. First stop was the Hindu's for a tin of my favorite 'bacca and a babble. Second was grocery store #1. Got the checkbook and list #1 out of the bag. Riffled through the lists. Oh shit. Instead of the shopping lists, I'd packed the round toit and correspondence lists. All on index cards, picked up the wrong stack! Well, that dropped the project stops off the circuit as even one part missing means a repeat trip anyway and the probability of me forgetting one is so close to 100%, why bother? Went ahead and winged the grocery lists and didn't do too bad, only forgot 3 household items. Might make another try tomorrow morning if the front coming through tonight passes by 9 AM tomorrow. After that, only the promise of eternal love will pry me back before the January white sales end!

* * * * * *

Been considering what to do about replacing my Cookie Monster. Poor Rima is languishing. I'm kinda OK with her except I don't chase critters or dig holes and won't go wading in the creek. That, and I won't stay outside like she wants me to. One thought is to look around for a critter like our old "Bear". He was a rottie/shep cross, looked pretty much like a bear cub when he was a pup and Nina named him accordingly. Me, I prefer names like Nyerlathotep and Ebola (Tep and Ebie). Bear grew up to be a gentle giant that didn't mind little kids pulling on his ears or tail, using him for a pony, but he wouldn't supervise chillin' like the shep girls did. When the deer flies were bad, he'd just go lay in the pond with just his nose and eyes out of the water, occasionally submersing attempting to dislodge those on the nose. I sure wish one of those photos had survived. This is the only one I rescued:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We got Bear from a couple who fostered kids, mostly older ones but I remember a baby one visit. At least one of the teen boys had been adopted and all those kids got a heck of a good deal. Lots of acreage, lots of critters including horses, goats, rabbits, ducks, chickens, and of course, dawgs. They were quite a ways off the beaten path and I used to go up and shoot the breeze with them for quite a while. Haven't in a long time and rather doubt they are still involved as this was nearly 20 years ago and I doubt the present excuse we have for HRS or HHS or CPS, or whatever it's called these daze would approve, besides, they were close to my present age back then.

..just a thought. Probably best to wait until I'm sure my system is done with the Borrelia.

* * * * * *

Class, here is your reading assignment for the day. This excellent essay by Christopher DeMuth, president of the American Enterprise Institute, Unlimited Government is really worth reading. Less footnotes it runs 11 pages of 12-point so allow a little sit-down time.

And for recess, you might like this 20 MB of wmv Haute-Voltige stunt flying!

* * * * * *
The sun is kinda up if you count 39 degrees and a drizzly overcast, got to go down to the unheated shop for a few hours. Don't wanna, just gotta. Next task on the round toit needs shop tool work.

Comments:
If you could drag your ass away from the swamp the third of Jauary Catfish is hosting a party for bloggers at his place up a little ways north of jacksonville. He has invited anyone who wants to come. Me and sweetthing are driving up on the second of Jan. Livey is comin down and acidman says he will be there and rumor is V man and some of the other crazy bastards are going to show up. Catfish allows he is putting on a low country boil and is gonna babbque a hog or sumthin. SHould be a good time to be had and I am takin my camera in self defense.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?