Wednesday, November 23, 2005

no rabbit tonight

Guy, sweetthing has yer number and I rather imagine you've had yer ears ringed a few times anyway! ;o)

I went and got the old Ruger Mark II out of the drawer and after deciding it really did have a bad case of neglect rust, scissored off a chunk of xxxx steel wool from the airless container. Steel wool turns into dust in days, fine steel wool in hours. I haven't fully stripped the thing in so many years, been a long time since I was involved in shooting sports, couldn't remember how. The MK 2 is a miserable thing to dismantle and reassemble and I've misplaced the manual that came with it when I bought it 29 years ago. Too much xxxx stuff in the mechanism to use until properly stripped, washed in mineral spirits, then dried and lubed. It is out of production but Sturm, Ruger, & Co. has a pdf manual on the gadget. Instructions begin on page 20 after 19 pages of gummit warnings.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

A bit too heavy, tends to jam with cheap ammo, excellent small caliber pistol for varmints at up to 50 yards. If you have large hands, never double-hand it. The slide will eat your knuckles! A old friend, welder/pipefitter, maul-handle breaker, father of many, and I used to take a crowd of kids out for a little rabbit shining occasionally. He rather admired my ability with the little pistol and god knows I'm not a very good shot. Merely decent. I taught my 100 pound bride who said she had never fired a gun to use it. She could make a pop can dance. I used to hide the clip just in case she got mad at me! Anyway, Dalton (pipefitter feller) wanted to try it out in the daylight. Damn-near removed the last joint on the thumb of his left hand. He liked the hex barreled .22 rifle anyway! ;o)

I need to write about Dalton, Louise, a whole bunch of kids, and campfires after the hunts someday. Louise, Dalton's wife of many decades, mother and grandmother of many, is one of my favorite people of all times. Born and raised on the shores of the Okeechobee and sooo close to what Majorie Kinnan Rawlings used as a character.. I hadn't read any of MKR's stuff since high school until 3 months ago. Old book, turning into moldy dust in the library. Now I've got to find more!

My 100 pound bride who I've not seen in 21 years turned 50 today. Happy birthday generator of infinite lawsuits and endless (until FTC in 1999) IRS seizures. May your next half century be as pleasant as my last 21 years.

* * * * * *
Did anything happen worth paying attention to today? No teevee, no CNN or ABC nooz, just the quiet of a cool day in our America. I know that good folk with a strong sense of purpose are bearing arms and facing the lord for my ability to sit here and write little stuff that makes no difference. Folk that are young enough to really miss the wonderful get-together that a family Thanksgiving Day can mean, possibly with those that won't be there next year. My share, some of which is worrisome, is so tiny compared to those guys and gals. I salute you my friends. I'm so goddam proud of you!

Comments:
fifty yards is a pretty good shot for me witha .22 rifle. The only thing I could do with a poistol at that range is to make a lot of nise and hope it scare the critter to death. I can hit the people target a couple of times out of six at that range with a big bore magnum load but not with a .45 auto or even a ,45 revolver unless the sumbitch has an 8' barrel which makes it heavy, out of balance and in need of a tripod.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?