Saturday, October 22, 2005

toejam

The gals are so pleased with me. I left here to grocery shop around 2 yesterday afternoon for the first time since 9/21 as I'd been out of their rations for a week. They've been eating da good stuff (mostly rice, hamburger, selected greens, & vitamins) but they were out doin' swamp stuff when I left. Much happiness on the return 4 hours later (plus a bit on my part. Went and saw an old friend. Had to learn how to communicate wit' de 'mouf'. kinda.) The gals got the pre-cooked goodness, then some standard stuff. Rima was so pleased she wanted a belly rub. Since I don't bend too well anymore, the barefoot rub worked wonderfully! She's as big as her granny (Cookie Monster) these daze and solid as a rock. Since there were 14 bags, my mail (another bag), the camera bag and cooler (buggies die, I always carry a ice chest for flesh), plus a colored teevee (<15 years old, free, works, shoot me! ;o), it took a while to unload.

The teevee hadn't been used in probably 5+ years. After the usual lightning storm of dust, mildew, and whatever blew off, it lit up. Haven't seen colored teevee in a while and after it kinda settled down, adjusted all the knobs (Emerson, April, 1989), watched ABC news. Amusing. Goddamn, those folk hate the US.

* * * * * *
Did you read what was on this part of the OpinionJournal last afternoon? I could rant a week's worth about it and not be out of steam. That link is generic, the article was posted yesterday, 21 October. Pat Santy reflects my thoughts with her ability to write. I write shit. She is prolific, got her head wonderfully screwed together (I wish mine was), and is my mandatory must-read after I put on the seat belt.

* * * * * *
I kinda tend to believe folk think in the language they have been raised with. Some of the degreed folk at Columbia and Cornell agree these days. Seems there are something around 6,800 running around right now. Language IS a bit of built-in wiring but I doubt it is the 6,800 listed. Kids ability to learn another language tends to fade rapidly after maybe 5 or so, authoritive sources seem to be somewhat not-so. Hell, some kids never learn one!

The family book says I was slow learning English, probably due to being raised in a German "enclave" that dated back to 1834. When I attempted to learn German as a teen, couldn't do it decently. Too confusing, besides, I'd dicovered girls and cars! ;o) The early part was the archaic high German which certainly didn't match 1964 German (but I can still sing olde German songs! ;o). When I took high school Spanish, it was Castilian. Yeah. You know how useful THAT is. Of course my young teacher was a red-headed native of South Alabama and Castilian Spanish blended with a really serious Southern drawl, wellll! Of course, Farsi down-stream is down-right musical with a Southern lilt! (shoot me!)

The United States seems to have 165 languages not counting ebonics and Brooklynese. At least it's not as tough as India with 337 except since the VA couldn't find docs to work for +$80,000 a year (inflation raises that from 1976 to 2005 by 243%. 80K x equals $194,400. No wonder my former wife was charged $7,400 for 30 minutes having her cataracts removed. The facility was owned by a Indian doctor of course.) and totally immune from malpractice (VA is immune). Back in the 70's, they imported a huge bag of them from India and the West Indies with med certs from the various islands and odd unis. The Indians pretty much own the medical system around here these daze as well as the majority of the quick-stops! US immigration quotas don't apply when one family member becomes a citizen. BTW, a lot of the imports are muslim. The Hindu medicos are not very good judged from my time working with them in the VA system and tend to be very crude as surgeons. Probably better than nothing if one has no choice. The hindu shrinks, well, it's best to kill yourself. You'll feel a lot better. The VA invested in a bunch of muslims. Don't go there infidel. Defies description.

* * * * * *
Many years working in OR's. I am NOT a medico, just an engineer wot kept da stuff working. Lots of memories and lots of thoughts. Lots of very, very good people and a few absolutely good surgeons. BTW, the last time I went to a AMA doc was '89 and that was totally foolishness. Not of my doing. Vets do a much better job. Veterinarians, that is! Stitch it up, inject it with the stuff in the closet, that don't work, there's always phenobarb. Sleepytime with no more wakeup calls. I've buried a couple of 2-leggers that didn't make 30. They just didn't want to enjoy the goodies anymore. Not done by vets. Self-inflicted.

To go into that night gently, not by suicide, that is entirely different. I've held many hands of folk that have died. Dieing knowing someone loves you is the best way out. Too many times since 1980, very dear people, very deep holes. Three of those were brightly alive at their last breaths. And in love with the folk around them. Gentle, wonderful folk.

This is a cartooned version of the person that is the most potent part of my soul. She died at 92 6 years ago, can't do diddly-squat about old parts falling off. She is still my access to loving folk. Grace, if you are watching, I KNOW I'm a major disappointment. The full (real) jpeg is 20 MB.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Got a story (damn-near book length) about her that needs telling. Wrote it 2 years before she died. It belongs in someone's book and since I'm not a writer and no longer good at narration, it'll probably join the many in the lost. There are a few extraordinary folk one might meet in one's lifetime. Lots and lots of good folk. Good lord, the world is just full of good people! Some folk are peculiar. Some folk have the ability to see clearly between the lines, intuitively understand and identify de fuckydoodles. Some are natural teachers. Dr. Strogatz and Dr. Swartz are undoubtably dead unless the blue tattoo gave them the ability to be here in 2005. RB would be close to 30 years beyond MS onset last time we shared air. That sucks. Sucks a lot. Norm (W4PLA) has been dead for 36 years and he is still with me in so many ways, Karl, you were a shithead, your widow hasn't taken up with anybody yet (he died 2 weeks after diagnosed with leukemia). He was my best buddy in Wellborn. He was also one of the kindest people I've met in my life. Took less than 2 weeks for him to start feeling feeble to the pine box. Calling him a shithead is high praise! Allus is shitheads! I miss you old friend.

Irene, John, Dot, John again, Lou, Ed, Joyce, John number 3, Stan, Charlotte (worst haircuts on the planet unless yer hair was blue! BEST friends!), Frank, Wade, Fred,..

I won't list a bunch of the mortuary of my dead friends as the names are identical and even if I consider myself not superstious, it dosn't seem right. All of my personal friends named John are dead so that isn't useful. There are a bunch of gals with the same name and 3 young ones I won't list as the names are the same as young ladies I know presently. One needs shooting; time will do it for her. Girls run amok are about the same as boys going bad. Her mamma is seriously addicted to pills and booze, daddy is a fancy dancer. Known them every since I was called in to change her diapers. Grumble.

One of the fellows with the name of 'John' was a most happy drop-in to the lab when it was still working. The lab was vastly reduced and the why won't be here. John was a 78 year old fellow, masters in EE from MIT back when, worked thru a company I won't mention (easy to figure), and when he retired from there, taught! I loved the hell out of [what I called] "my professor". He came down to the swamplab about twice a week. Mostly he sat over my shoulder as I was designing a totaly improbable machine. Other projects as well, normal work-units for funds. He caused me to to go back to MY chalk-talk days and I got back in love with teaching again! Yes, the design worked like a pearl and John's questions, no, they were not useful other than teaching me I like to teach and I used to be pretty good at it. Poor John, he used to walk out of the lab thru the closed glass door. Had to put a tape pattern on it to keep him from banging his head. For kicks and giggles, those that understand various aspects of the physical sciences and have no corresponding college degree are not eligable to teach.

What is really depressing, the tape pattern has finally flaked off. He's been dead for a decade.

Dr. Strogatz and Swartz didn't make 1970. Strogatz got me working on Faraday in the 50's. Yep. I remember everything about him. Goddam sumbich. Outa left me snagging catfish in da creek!

Comments:
Good to see you are writing sumthin again. I have to agree with the Indian docs although I have met a couple that were okay. Gotdam TRICARE which is my military retiree medical benifit, must have contracted with ever dam one of them in Florida. I had a heart cath dome last spring because one of them insisted and one of his buddies got the nod. NADA! My gotdam blood fat on the blood test is at 145-damn near at the low chlorestaral level ( I can't spell for shit) Pissed me off that they insisted I do the test when I knew there wasn't a goddam thing with me except no air in my lungs from too damn many smokes-that I quit fifteen years ago.

I've lost a lot of friends and relatives over the past few years myself. But, like my pop said, Maybe I am just outliving my age group. Dad hung on until he was a few days short of 84 but was ready for a couple of years before that.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?