Saturday, August 27, 2005

unloaded

It took a while. Parts of me don't work too good anymore. The 'lifting' parts have been in less than optimum shape for a rather long time and the gals, well, they've been a bit tired of my 'home cooking' feed for a week or so. They gobble it up in mere seconds but it's the stuff I make by a recipe given to me by a northern gal what raises dawgs that live where it gets 40 below. When it's northern Florida winter and the wood stove is mostly always fired up, the brew kettle becomes the "cannibal pot" using the good stuff purchased and saved over the last six months. The dawgs stay sleek and shiney, full of piss and vinegar, plus they gain weight. Snow is rare here (sticking snow) but an occasional week+ below freezing even through the daytime isn't too unusual. Just too damn cold to play outside with the ugliest winters around. -40 in the Sierras, good stuff. Bring brandy. -20 feeding the critters in Albany (NY), wear woolies. North Florida winters suck.

The gals always know hours before when the device that rolls is due to make motor noises. Smiles, pacing, frequent trips to and fro da buggy. They now know fer sure when "the smell" starts. Since I don't go out often (monthly or less), the buggy is kinda parked where there is at least one tick per leaf/frond/blade. The slather of Skin So Soft, especially where the inevitable bloodsuckers will migrate, is pretty thorough. I have very soft balls. Dawgs have good noses. SSS is also a "don't bite me anymore" for puppies. I'm a wuss with pups, takes me forever to decide that the gnawing of walking legs has become uncool. Slather on some SSS. Discipline not required. Oh, by the way, chiggers and Asian Tiger mosquitos ignore it.

On the return, FOOD! Warm-weather food. Low-col, NO VEGE (not true but the winter recipe calls for a fair amount. I dice, not puree') food. Try hauling a 50# sack inside with all that nice co-operation!

Poor Rima. She's been eating a diet that would probably sustain an Iditarod dawg but she's getting to be ribs. Cookie isn't much better. High protein, high fat, undoubtably major worming time again and I've still a few doses of what works. Remind me to keep my mouf' closed if I mow next week. Tall dawgs, tall grass, + mower: keep mouf' shut! Been there a few times. Baaad idea.

Got the broken washing machine cobbled enough to run a load. Ran a month of sick sheets with lots of bleach. Tomorrow I may try a load of malarial clothing. Did I mention Florida kinda sucks? ..and I'm not just a native, hell, I moved BACK here. ..mumble, only those with too much money or too few brains...

* * * * * *

GUYK, I read Mr. Uris's masterpiece and way back then, thought I'd found another genius author. There are a lot of folk that have written one true masterpiece. Some, quite a few actually, have written a bunch of good stuff and I've got my favorites. The bastards quit breathing and I'm pissed. MORE! There are also a lot that have gotten on the NYT bestseller list what wouldn't make good compost. Then there are folk like Mr. Michener who had a hard time writing a bad book. I've 22 of his in my library, 2 are rather feeble, 3 others alone are individually so good that a human should be proud to have been able to write one such. Check his bio some day. A rather remarkable man.

* * * * * *

Just finished stowing the rest of the groceries and 'iron rations' (aka; storm feed). Left the eggs and mushrooms on the platform in front of the conveyer belt. **sigh!** I unload a cart with the hard goods first, any meat in one bunch, then veges, finally the delicate stuff. The bagging folk sometimes tend to be less than gentle, plus, since I'm rarely in town and might have another errand, like the roadkill easily put in the ice chest. Gettin' too old for my mushroom omelettes anyway... Besides, since my Chinee GE oven crapped out, won't be baking (where eggs are needed for those that don't bake) anyway (sour grapes! ;o) Other than eggs and mushrooms, there is no reason to leave the swamp until October. Well, I DO have a letter in a 9 x 12 that needs mailing. It might get somewhat box-sized by October. UPS makes swamp-calls when they don't get lost...

Got a serious topic with some credible sources to yak about. Partially written and the "partially" part needs a clean edit. I'll leave you with this little video clip hosted by Emperor Darth Misha I, aka, The Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler. It's just Bob Hope.

Comments:
Mitchner has been my favorite and I have read and reread every thing that he wrote. Recently run into a paperback of "The Honey Badger" by Robert Roark, another one who died to young. Pretty good reading. He wrote another one about Africa called "Uhuru" which was written prior to the de colonialazation-damn, is that a word?- of most of Africa and the book pretty well proved to be true about what was going to happen. Scary as "Atlas Shrugged" about predictions.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?