Friday, April 15, 2005

ear-scritchin' day

What a wonderful day! Kinda nippish at dawn for the middle of April down here at 37 degrees but beautifully sunny. Got me all worked up enough to mow parts of the yard, lane, and roof. Tomorrow is supposed to be identical so the rest of the job will get finished and the solar shades will get installed on the atrium. Got company expected, good friends of my new neighbors, should be a pretty fine day. Saturday is "housecleaning day" (yeah, right), never taken too seriously. 3,400 square feet, old swamp packrat engineer critter with a hatful of dawgs, "housecleaning" has a rather loose definition!

Parts of me came loose a couple of days ago so I won't put getting the roof-mounted greenhouse back in service just yet. It is to be converted to hydroponic mostly operation using flow & ebb now that I've found a way to do it rather cheaply. There are some excellent plans available on the net and I'll link them when the project becomes active again. I expanded on the best and made it a LOT cheaper to build. Presently I'll just have to be content to finish mowing the damn roof and getting the shades up before Florida does what Summertime Florida does best (melting yer ass).

This was kinda fun; Wednesday evening I went over to Jimmy & Kate's to pick up Abby. She tends to wander through the woods to spend the day raisin' Cain with her sister (imprint from their first week after rescue from the dumpster) and left with Kate going to give BeeBee a bath. I brought Abby home and decided to do the same with her.

At this point, 5 pages of my snail-mail should be inserted. Wolfies are water-babies. Good Lord do they love water! Gave her a scrub with some 30 year old dawg shampoo supposed to be good to rid canids of ticks with the shower on. It got really wet and happy! She dropped a bag of ticks but not all. Not there yet.

...to move on, Thursday was just a usual day, working my way up a long-term project that possibly has an end-point, being "helped" by my loyal assistants. The day ended nicely. This morning got a bit flakey when a large stray damn-near mangled Abby. I was less than pleased. The stray has an owner. The stray is destroying things down here. The stray will not be "stray" much longer. Tend him or I'll just have to have the proper county employees tend him. The "owner" is certifiable. Abby went to spend the day with her sister. No, I wouldn't do anything to the pooch even this was 50 years ago. He's a good critter, just has a very irresponsible owner. Certified.

Something good came out of it as I wanted to go pick up Abby and visit anyway. Abby and BeeBee are gonna be our communal wolfies and all of us are content with that. They are critter folk and I'm the moss on the tree! Moss that types occasionally. ..sometimes moss that will eat livers. Got over that (mostly) about a quarter of a century ago, found it easier to outlive assholes.

ANYWAY, had a good visit with a conversation the three of us started 6 months ago when I first met them. It was 27 years ago when I was involved with what that was about, back when they were 14 and 19 years old! Oh, the translation difficulties! My self-imposed years of hermitdom have NOT improved my verbal communication skills. It's getting better. Spooked myself a couple of years ago when I'd gone into town for supplies, the clerk at the first store spoke to me and I couldn't form words. It had been several months since I'd spoken, normally I had gone in a bit more often. 2 hours a month outside the swamp for a bunch of years. Nodding works mostly. I tipped the tub 7 years ago and there was no baby in the bathwater. 28 dried on the dirt. Got to keep 7. 4 of the 7 have died and the 3 left are finestkind.

I oughta write about the 28. It's amusing after all the time and truly explains the liberal mindset. Lots of nice, quiet years to consider each of them. All welfare babies. Everything is theirs by rights. Oh Lord, if only Nina had made me aware of their motives back then! But then, did she even know? Would I have been wise enough to understand before I got bagged? Probably not.

My one major fault is (was) trust. Mightily low on it these days. Ass got bit one time too many.

* * * * * *

Time for a news clip that I found amusing. This one was so silly it's hardly worth linking.

Mercury Scare Forces School Dismissal

Not worth a >blockquote<. Wonder if those Wonderbread fer brains consider the amount of mercury in the millions of florescent tubes lighting the windowless government skools are as fearful! There is a real wonder of a gummit skool just down the pike. Has maybe 1,100 students, no windows, cost $40,000,000 (no shit), has a graduation rate of under 56% (last web posting in 2003, logged, now missing). Probably mercury poisoning from all the broken bulbs!

Do skool administrators and the "ordained ones" (i.e., legislators) have opposable thumbs?

* * * * * *

Actually that most useless of newspapers had a reasonably accurate article in it today. It's read-worthy:

Iraqis Find Graves Thought to Hold Hussein's Victims

Old news, new news, odd stuff for the NYT. Was this on page 22E?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com




* * * * * *

In August of 2003, I had a major "problem". Not fun at all. Classic on every count. Took over 2 months to regain partial ability to breathe decently. Had something similar 7 years earlier that wasn't fun at all either. That one ended my making of good Southern milk gravy. Having carried one of those funny security clearances for ages, the one major thing one does is NOT to participate in the no-no weed. I've pretty-much been weed-free for the 28 years since my first born son was conceived . Had a puff with a preacher friend 6 years ago, nice stuff! My wonderfully spent youth in the Santa Clara valley between the ages of 20 and 28, well, tested a lot of homegrown! Weed makes me goofy, nice stuff to consume for smiles and lovin'. Bit of music and friends (and the contents of a 7-11!) but a disaster for coherent thinking.

THIS I found unusual. Especially from the Telegraph. Don't know if you will have to register for the article but if you do, I did years ago and I've not been spammed once from them. I did it with a throwaway as I always did before bugmenot.com. Little warning: don't use your primary email addy with the NY Times. Endless spam. I did.

Cannabis may stop heart disease

By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
(Filed: 07/04/2005)

The active ingredient of cannabis can prevent blood vessels from becoming blocked by atherosclerosis, the inflammation that is the primary cause of heart disease and stroke.


The disease is halted when mice are given low doses of the substance, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, THC, according to a study published today in the journal Nature by Prof François Mach and colleagues at the Geneva University Hospital.

Atherosclerosis occurs when the build-up of immune cells in blood vessels causes narrowing of the arteries. THC, seems to prevents the recruitment of immune cells called leukocytes by binding to proteins called CB2 receptors on the surface of cells in the vessels.

Because atherosclerosis is rare in younger people who tend to smoke cannabis, there is no evidence of this protective effect from earlier epidemiological studies of the health effects, said Prof Mach. He added that his research will spur drug companies to look for compounds which can bind to CB2 receptors like THC but without CB1 activity and thus the psychotropic effects.

Prof Michael Roth, from the University of California, urged caution in the same issue of Nature. "The findings are striking, but they should not be taken to mean that smoking marijuana is beneficial to the heart. Also, no studies have been performed in humans to evaluate the effects of THC.


* * * * * *

"...though liberals do a great deal of talking about hearing other points of view, it sometimes shocks them to learn that there are other points of view."
--William F. Buckley, National Review, Jan 11, 1956

* * * * * *

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

* * * * * *

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?