Wednesday, January 12, 2005

evening meander



Old Wellborn Cemetery

Don't know how long this wonderful spring-like weather is going to last. I've been re-rigging the shop thinking I may start up the old Irradiator project since there may be a little interest in it again. The shop has mostly been ignored except for the studio construction for many years and I'm really enjoying the mild weather allowing me to keep the place wide open while sorting "stuff" and raking out years of moldy old sawdust (plus less agreeable mung). Cookie and Rima have been helping, mostly by parking their carcasses directly behind me so when I step back from a bench, they can listen to me cuss.

Took some time this afternoon to crank the buggy and go to the post office and mail out a very overdue bill. I was also supposed to go pick up some equipment from a friend's porch. He forgot. Since it was too damn pretty to head directly back to work, decided to go visit the old Wellborn Cemetery as I hadn't been there in probably 15 years. It dates from around 1800 and I've been wanting to go record the information from a 1842 headstone of a 17 year-old girl that had an interesting role in the Indian War. It's no longer there. Actually the cemetery has taken a lot of damage, many of the ancient old cedars have been toppled, all of the 20' high azaleas have been cut to the ground, and some of the family plot fences have been damaged.



I meant to take a bunch of headstone photos but I haven't recharged the camera batteries in a while. Got a couple before it fizzled and this one was my favorite although it is fairly recent.



The one thing I had forgotten about the place were the enormous number of infant graves. One family plot in the mid-1800's had ma, pa, 4 infants, and 2 children.

...and there are scads of McClellans. I'll go back with a fresh charged camera and a note pad soon.



* * * * * *

I don't know if it's worthwhile to try and read that "independent" report about Rathergate. It runs 234 pages and the first 10 are index. Think I'll read a good Koontz book instead. Probably less fictional. BummerDietz at Scylla & Charybdis and Hindrocket at Power Line, The Thornburgh Report: What It Says, and What It Doesn't Say did the deed for me.

* * * * * *

You've probably heard of the comic book the Mexican government has issued to ease the way for illegal aliens. Well, there's another version.

Illegal Immigration Made Easy

There's some interesting information and links on that site as well.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?