Saturday, November 27, 2004

mice?

Yep. Been trying to figure out what that munching sound I've been hearing late at night is. There is NOTHING as quiet as this batcave with the windows closed and all the humming machinery off. There's no such thing as a mouse, all mice are female and they are born permanently pregnant. The next batch are being warmed up as the latest are coming out of the oven. I'd go out and catch a pine snake or 2 to fix the problem but they'd probably eat Bronson, the resident toad, and I can't have that. He's been my roommate since '98 or '99 and you couldn't ask for better company. Well, he does shit on the floor but he's a lot better than the fella before him that was using MY 'puter and connection to traffic 'stuff'. Toad turds are easy to deal with and besides, Bronson eats roaches, doesn't smoke them.

The meese have gotten into the cornmeal, rice, and dawg feed so tonight I'll have traps set all over the place. I'll also sleep with my shoes on. Kinda numb in the morning you see. Don't need a nasty suprise to start the day.

As is normal, Saturday is housecleaning (HAH!) day with today's varient being bottling up the last batch of ale until probably March or April. Sterilize a batch of bottles and caps, prime, then bottle. All done but the cleanup of the equipment and stowage until next time. Clothes are washed and hung out to be rained on, a bunch more firewood cut and stacked to be rained on (both Cookie & Rima think tarps are combination food units and bedding), and I was about to go tackle the dead tree across the lane when the rain started up again.



That's just a limb off the main trunk and for scale, the greenish post showing is 12' high.

Cookie was paying attention to the soon-to-be modified tree. I'd been wandering around the base and other broken parts estimating the best ways to cut it into bits with the least effort and bloodshed. As you can tell even from the shrunk photo, Rima was about to tackle a bug. Fierce!




The mower is still partially hung up in the roof brush. I'm going back up there shortly to try again, this time with a kettle of boiling water.



Yep, that's a fire ant mound and they got a goodly piece of me on the first go-round with the loppers.


Exciting down here, isn't it? I think I'll go clean some mildew off of the pantry door whilst waiting for the rain to pause.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?