Friday, October 01, 2004

Living on the edge

...of the Southern coast that is. In just a few weeks 4 hurricanes have rather moistened my native State. Twelve years worth of the buggers in less time than it takes to brew a quick batch of beer.

Living on the coast of semi-tropical Florida has always been hyped as a dream situation. Even way-back-then in the 'before' manufactured housing and the forays into the unknown territories, folk have lived where the seasonal storms WILL come and hammer them. That last link is kinda cool, "Motoring tourists homecoming, Arcadia, Fla., Jan. 4-10, 1932". Notice the defoliated condition of the background? The denuded condition of the Gulf coastal regions is the way it is and always has been. Sometimes there are quite a few years between the big storms and trees grow tall. People with reasonable smarts never build where the tall, skinny trees are scant and all leaning in one direction...

What can I say? Florida is knee-deep in folk that all want to live in paradise. Truly, coastal living is awful nice. I'd like to do it.


Comments:
Hi Rev!

I'm shameslessly spamming your blog. (hangs head) Please forgive me. lol I'm delighted to hear you are OK! I was thinking about you and popped into one of your known haunts and was happy to find a link to this blog. You folks down those parts have really had your share this year.

Raevun ('member me?)

I'll be back to hear additional swamp musings...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?